Microwave Tuna Casserole
|Click here for printable version|
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons all purpose flour (or cornstarch)
2 teaspoons mustard
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
6.5 ounces water packed tuna, drained
2 cups cooked noodles
- Put the butter in a 2 quart microwavable casserole. Microwave on High for 30 - 45 seconds or until melted.
- Add the celery, onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, mustard, dill, salt and cayenne.
- Gradually stir in the milk and the cottage cheese. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5 minutes, stirring twice.
- Stir in the tuna and cooked noodles,. Microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, stirring once.
This is a super easy meal and no preservatives, like those that use a can of soup as the base. Feel free to add veggies or change according to your taste. It's great with a 1/2 cup of peas added (as pictured). You can also finish by adding some bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and cooking in the oven for a few minutes to brown.